How much does alternative music have to suffer before it gets a reprise or rennaisance?

I distinctly felt the shock of 9/11 as the aftermath made being Catholic a little more miserable and made Islam boring, still, but much heavier than marlyn Manson. So we took a back seat to American Idol for several years and turned the industry into a Fucking lotto ticket. Disillusioned, I pursued college. Considering how Pete didn't wanna be Pete anymore, I put my private-music school education on the back burner of jazz comping and earned a degree in law so I can be as paranoid of a paranormal paralegal as possible. I'm up in Connecticut, so you can only imagine how much they love me (John Mayer from Fairfield, really John First selectman, man he sucks serious retarded.cock). Dave Grohl took over the rock scene, and roadrunner records sold its soul on Nickelbag.. how does he do three part harmonies live like that? That man must be Jesus himself. Big wampum for roadrunner.

Nothing. No sub culture. Everyone's petrified to interact face to face so we all dumb down to this strict straight or gay guideline. Well I'm Roman, and an Applegate, so my English says never for unlawful carnal knowledge, and my Catholic says "huh?"

APHND is catchy. I think 7V is a little too menacing, and the Orange amps really have a audio draw. Never pissed st Johnny for knowing the drum machine, I'm addicted to his playing. No lie, Lars Ulrich is a very decent drummer, but for the same reason Johnny is: keep it simple and stupid. Was that a helicopter passing by or just another death metal song?

APHND has no religious overtones. I like that. I've had nervous breakdowns all throughout my life, and I know others like me with coke problems and drinking disorders and Sal gets it right.

How about making some money? Lou Dibella, sub zero is a personal acquaintance of mine. I grew up with and rented from Jaime Jasta's fam. What does it take to pay the bills? Venues? No. Contraversy does.
So true was the line "Riots, protests, violence just makes us famous."

The industry isn't riddled with fools, its riddled by Dave grohl, probably.

What does it take to put gothic music back where it once was, and move on from this hipster, emo(tional) facade?
I think the answer is hidden in grass roots social issues that aren't discussed.

You fuck yourself, youre a guy, you fucked a guy, you're gay. What's truly good about the net?

How many people doing decent hard rock remember the difference, pre millenium.

The Prophets of Doom were a non-profit org.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm the son of a Lindenhurst bulldog.  And I'm not going to batter you anymore, because I have a better idea of what you are than you do of me. 

I'm not a complete jerk, but I come from a situation and conversation that you Islanders pretend you didn't hear.

And you came at me like you could back up with full force, an argument about the veracity of the way I put things.

You know, if CT and LI got into a fight, it'd be your fault, and CT would totally kick your fucking ass.

Just think of that whenever you listen to the Long Island Sound.

Your still trying to instigate a fight, and what does me being from long island have to do with anything. How did i come at you all i said was What the fuck are you talking about and you went on a rant about me cutting my hair, calling me a backwood country fuck and calling my fiance my sister. Your making yourself look very un-educated by saying that stuff.

Bryan St. Damn said:

I'm the son of a Lindenhurst bulldog.  And I'm not going to batter you anymore, because I have a better idea of what you are than you do of me. 

I'm not a complete jerk, but I come from a situation and conversation that you Islanders pretend you didn't hear.

And you came at me like you could back up with full force, an argument about the veracity of the way I put things.

You know, if CT and LI got into a fight, it'd be your fault, and CT would totally kick your fucking ass.

Just think of that whenever you listen to the Long Island Sound.

Bryan, I know the band appreciates your support and passion. However, since I worked with the band to build this site we have no issues with people not getting along till today! This is your first and only warning, please be considerate of others on this website. 

Thx 

Jesus, alright. I just miss the old days when a mosh pit wasn't a fight.
I'm just through with negative all the time. When's Subzero playing?

The beauty of digital technology and the internet is that music, like a lot of entertainment, has been democratized. The wonderful thing about that is that anyone can record, release and distribute and album. The horrible thing about it is that anyone can record, release and distribute and album. There are a lot of golden nuggets out there to be had, you've just got more to sift through then ever before. I gave up on the radio and major labels a very long time ago (as I'm sure just about anyone on this site has). 

But hey, if someone has the motivation and dedication to their art to put the labor of love around it and release it to the world...good for them.

Listen, Zombie; you're absolutely right.  I borrow a book from the library called "The Folk Songs of North America" and I'm having light-bulbs flash all over.  Pirate songs, and just tough stuff like "Strawberry Lane, 1834, As I was a walking up Strawberry Land, Every rose grows merry and fine, I chanced forto meet a pretty fair maid who wanted to be a true lover of mine"  The song goes on where thee girl makes him make her a 'cambric? skirt, which has to be washed in a well that has no water, dry it on a thorn bush with no thorns.. and he gets back at her by making her buy him an acre of land "between salt water and sea sand" and it needs to be ploughed with the horn of a deer..."

Also trying to capture the essence of 80's and 90's rock, goth and alternative is hard because of where the industry went after 911.  Smashing Pumpkins were gothed out, marlyn manson was huge, then BAM!  Muslims decided to go overboard and throw real airplanes during my English class.

The industry spends a million dollars on a song that cost $5,000 for them to produce, and some immature rascal or rascette goes around the world charging $150 at Mohegan sun for a ticket. 

Meanwhile, Sal Abruscato is afraid to sleep without the nightlight on... and Pete (RIP, you had a huge soul) can't get medical treatment because record labels won't pay medical bills, and NYPD won't hire felons.

As the owner of the studio I work for says, "It's all about creating a scene."  It's true... The rest falls through, as long as the musicians don't get hooked on drugs and shitty girlfriends.

It's the nature of art. As soon as there is a scene, the mere fact that there is a scene waters it down, distorts it and eventually kills it.With rock and roll as much as anything, it all goes in cycles. You had the british invasion, the hippy music movement, NWOBHM, hair metal, punk, thrash, black metal, grunge, etc.... they were all scenes that rose and fell (I'm sure there are people who will read this and condem me by yelling that these scenes are alive and well). There will always be people into that music and who will continue to create that music, but stuff evolves. As soon as it becomes popular, capitalism kicks in and the imitators scramble to jump up and grab a piece of the pie. It's nothing new. It will continue to happen. 

I grew up in the bay area in the 80's. Metallica, Testament, Vio-lence, Death Angel, Metal Church, Exodus, etc...it was a scene. I remember opening for Death Angel and thinking "this is it, we're going to be metal gods!".  Then the rules changed and the world moved on to other things. A lot of these bands are still making music today, but most of them are playing clubs when they were once playing arenas. 

Music is different things to different people. Sadly, corporations rule the airwaves and decide who gets popular and who doesn't. Music fans will seek out what they love and support those artist however they can (like APHND). The rest of the people will listen to whatever they are fed. Then they will go to their 1 or 2 shows a year to get a little rowdy, drink a little too much and try and remember what it was like when they were 20. It's been that way for decades. 

I'm a huge fan of the Florida metal scene from the 80s and have every morbid angel album on my overgrown cellphone.  I like what Morbid Angel is doing.  While the other bands (Chuck Schuldiner RIP) swap Ralph Santola, they're innovating.  I saw Genitorturers and I had coffee with their former drummer in Westport, CT back in June.  Manson's from FL too.  It picked up. (later testament is ace, too)

You're right about the cloudiness of the music industry.  I never said "sure" to rap (rapsure, get it?) because I was a guitarist before guitar became John Mayer (from Fairfield, CT) and wound up getting into jazz and black gospel music.

There's no venues for metal.  Clubs and venues in the US (??Europe and Canada) don't allow moshing, so the music can't be too brutal.  I wind up seeing bands play in the basements of houses in Hartford just to capture a decent thing.  

I think Vincent and Morbid Angel are on to something by pushing a colonial look as compared to the "dirt-poor nazi" look with boots jeans and a black band shirt back in the old days.  Something's gotta come out of this music.

My perspective is that heavy metal is heavy and hard because the path to marriage tends to be that way.. band, heavy metal on your finger?  I don't know.  Maybe that's too far-out.

Or the relationship of Great Britain and the US?  There's a lot of animosity between the two cultures and the way we see things and our Englishs.

Whatever it is, it has to be focused on,  it has to be developed,  there has to be a real live drummer (or two.. get off that drum machine Professor Kelly), and for a scene to be acknoledged it has to be for the benefit of society.

Sorry I wrote a fuckin dissertation at you.  Blame it on growing up down the street from Yale. 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Sal Abruscato.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service